Tuesday, February 26, 2013

It all started with a chair

My studio is a disaster.  It usually is in some amount of disarray, but it has gone way beyond that at the moment and it was much worse, this picture is after I've been working on it for a day and a half.  It all started with wanting to get a little more room and to be better able to access these cabinets.
They used to be in this corner with the computer desk in front of them.  Which meant that I would have to move the computer any time I wanted to get into them.  Needless to say I only stored stuff that I didn't need to access very often, but I knew that they weren't being used to their full potential so I needed to do some rearranging. It also meant that I needed to find a new home for my beloved sofa, which I did and it will be well loved,  and replace it with something smaller, like a recliner, because sometimes I do like to relax and put my feet up. 
Now the cabinets are where I can get to then easier. It has also given me a chance to clean them out.  There was lots of stuff that is being re-purposed, like quilt tops that I've never gotten around to quilting for one reason or another, usually because I didn't like the way they turned out, so they are going to be quilt backs.  Other stuff is going to find a good home, just not here.

  And here is my new recliner.  It's really soft and comfy. 

There are still a couple of things that I'm waiting for.  The first is a filing cabinet which will go in the corner next to the computer table. It comes tomorrow.  I am going to love being able to get a lot of the paper stuff filed away.  I also have to get new blinds for the windows.  Which means I have to make a trip to Home Depot or Lowes today to pick them out, so I won't be able to get any quilting done for a few more days at least.


Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Easy Street Finale...for some of us...

It's done!!!! I've finished my Easy Street Mystery top with pieced borders. The borders are pieced because I goofed on the part where we were making stacked bricks and I cut the strips the wrong size. I didn't realize the mistake until I had sewn the strips together and cut them into their 3 1/2" sections. So what do you do when life gives you scraps? Make the border for your quilt. I usually prefer doing something with the border other then just putting on just plain strips. I think for quilting I going to take it to my girlfriend's and put it on her longarm and just do a panto on it, since it is so busy. That's what I did with Orca Bay and it turned out great.

Betsy B.'s top is together, it looks great in all batiks.  She was looking for just the right purple for the border and Linda G. found the perfect one in her stash and gave it to her.  Quilting friends are the greatest.  For the small inner border she is going to use her left over turquoise which she has cut into strips and pieced into one long strip.  I's going to look fantastic when she is done.

The other "Girlz" in my friendship group who have joined me on this journey are still working hard at getting theirs finished.  Nancy has 1 A block, her 4 corners and all the setting triangles finished, but still has to finish the rest of her blocks.

Here is one of Missy A blocks.  She has all her parts done, so she just has to put it all together into her top.


The first pic shows Linda G.'s A block and the next one shows her stack of all her finished blocks.  We have a meeting today so we'll see how far everyone has gotten.